At a meeting of Mayo County Council on the 24th of March 1928 in Castlebar, the matter of Charlestown’s name came up.
It was an adjourned meeting and the following Councillors were present. Mr W Davis, Chairman of the Council presided. The other Councillors present were: Messrs P Higgins, MC Henry, TD, MW Nally TD, W Kilroy TD, JJ Ruane, J Dooher, JA Mellett, BF Cunniffe, T Walsh, MH O'Donnell, PS Daly, P O’Hara, JD Corcoran, P Sweeney, T Egan, P O’Donnell, W Barrett, JJ Duffy, C Moane, TJ Loftus, P Jordan, PJ Waldron, T Campbell and TW Kelly.
MC Henry proposed and P O’Donnell seconded that it be resolved that we request The Department of Posts and Telegraphs: To change the name of Charlestown on the Post Office official stamps to the old Irish form of Baile Cathail. W Davis, Chairman, 24/3/1928.
The following Councillors of the Finance Committee 1928 also met on the same date. Present were: Patrick Higgins, W Davis, MC Henry, JJ Ruane, T Dooher, JA Mellett, T Walsh, BJ Cunniffe, WH O’Donnell, PS Daly, P O’Hara, JW Corcoran and P Sweeney.
© Cathal Henry 2011