The British Post Office Archives hold all the records prior to 1921. Charlestown first appeared in the British Post Office Guide of Post Offices in the United Kingdom in January 1869. As it did not appear in the Guide of 1868, it must have been established some time in 1868. The Head Office at that time was in Swinford. Charlestown first appeared in the Irish Post Office Guide in 1922, with Claremorris as Head Office. On and from 2nd February 1874, the Staff at Charlestown Sub-Post Office consisted of a Sub-Postmaster and four postmen.
Lowpark National School, Charlestown, Co Mayo, was built in the year 1846, with funds granted by Lord Dillon and the local Board. The Roll number was 4794. It was built in the Barony of Costello. There was no rent paid. The precise date of the opening of the school was 2nd of January 1846. This building is now Murphy's Garage and residence, the new school is directly across the road. The manager of the school in 1846 was Rev Canon Loftus PP.
© Cathal Henry