The gardens at Enniscoe were maintained until around 1950 but since then had fallen into disrepair. They comprise a walled garden area that is divided into two sections - a two-acre organic vegetable garden and a Victorian ornamental walled garden one-acre in size. There is also a Pleasure Garden, 4 acres in size.
In June 1996, Susan Kellett (Owner) with the support of The Great Gardens of Ireland Restoration Programme, FÁS and Meitheal Maigheo, began the task of restoring the gardens.
The first year of the 3-year project involved clearing the one-acre site, which had become overgrown with Ash, Sycamore, briars and weeds. Some original plants were discovered to have survived and these were carefully lifted and propagated to be planted again later.
The second year involved ground preparation and on-going plant propagation, wall repairs, sowing of lawn area and commencement of border planting. Work also started on the Pleasure Garden with ongoing maintenance and addition of features and plant material throughout.
In year three, planting of borders took place as well as completing pathways and general garden maintenance during the summer months. In the autumn, there was further planting of shrubs and bulbs and also work on the Pleasure Garden.
The Vegetable Garden was restored in 1997 and was then taken over privately to be run as an Organic Vegetable and Herb Garden supplying local markets as well as produce for sale in the garden itself. The official opening of the newly restored gardens took place on 18th October 1999.
From article by Deirdre Ruttledge in Crossmolina Parish Annual 1999