The old school, which was built in 1844 at a cost of £148, was located in Kildaree. The present day school was built in 1894 at a cost of £674. Enaghbeg N.S. was built in 1896 at a cost of £381. It replaced Rathmore N.S. which was built in 1833. Enaghbeg and Richmond National Schools amalgamated in 1971.
St. Patrick’s N.S., Rathnamagh is situated in the parish of Ardagh. The site for this school was purchased from James Hanahoe of Rathnamagh by Fr. Hugh Durcan PP. The school is a one-storey building, containing two classrooms and two cloakrooms. It was opened on 18th October 1938 and replaced the original school which was in use from 1871. There were 63 pupils there when it opened in 1938 with Mr Robert Gallagher as principal teacher and Mrs Brigid Watters the assistant.
There have been many changes since it opened such as the addition of indoor flush toilets, an electric storage heating system, carpets, modern classroom furniture and electricity.
In Irish, this is called Cnoc an Éalórdh meaning the hill of the escape. It was built in 1918 and is situated in the parish of Ardagh but because it is close to the Ballina boundary, it’s pupils come from both parishes. The building consists of an entrance hall and two classrooms.
Glenmore N.S. is in the parish of Moygownagh and was built in 1892. The old school before that was built in 1831 and was a two-roomed building, with windows on one side. The school was built of stone, with a thatched roof and white washed walls. It had an open fire and each pupil brought a sod of turf to keep the fire going all day. There were about 50 pupils attending and Sidney Taheny, from Sligo, taught there.
Keenagh school was built in 1897. Sir Roger Palmer gave a donation of £35 towards the cost of the building. The building consisted of one room which was divided in two by an easel and a big blackboard. Master Cafferkey taught the older children at one end and Mrs. Cafferkey taught the infants at the other end of the room.
There was an open fireplace and each family who had children attending the school had to provide one cart-load of turf each year. When this was used, each pupil had to bring two sods of turf for the fire. When Master Cafferkey retired, his daughter Madge replaced him and she brought music, singing and drama to the school.
The previous Keenagh school was beside the present church and was converted into a curate’s residence in 1898.