St. Catherine's church was built in 1798 and the Glebe House in 1826. In 1991 it was handed over to the Louisburgh Development Company who turned it into a folk and famine centre. The centre also provides the visitor with a visual display and information on the many archaeological monuments in the area. In keeping with its name, The Granuaile Interpretive Centre gives us an insight into the life of Grace O' Malley, the famous "Pirate Queen" through pictures, artefacts, replicas, videos etc.
8km from Louisburgh, situated at the foot of Croagh Patrick. This is the ruin of an Augustinian Church and Priory and is now a national monument. The Abbey was founded in 1457 on land donated by Teig O' Malley, chieftain of the O'Malley Clan. The Protestant reformation did not affect the abbey until 1577 when the Augustinians were driven from their scantuary. They were restablished until at least 1648. The Abbey is intimately connected to Croagh Patrick, as in former times, it housed the famous relics of the saint.
Chathair na Naomh or Cathair Phadraic- the isle of saints, or St Patrick's isle, anciently revered as a holy place and the site of a monastic settlement, traditionally associated with St Patrick. The pilgrimage to Croagh Patrick originally included the performance of the Stations of the Cross both at Caher Island and Kilgeever. It has the ruins of a primitive church, the original parts dating back to early Christian times. Tombs and Stations of the Cross. A series of decorated cross inscribed stones.
By Bernie O'Malley