According to historians the parish concept in Ireland dates back to the 5th century. After the Synod of Kells in 1152 the ecclesiastical parishes were formally constituted.
The formation of the dioceses took place during this period and the parish of Kildacammoge, later known as Keelogues was formed in this time. It was included in the old Diocese of Mayo that later was transferred to the Archdiocese of Tuam.
The parish contains nine townlands. Places of interest include St. Ciaran's Holy Well in Carrownacross (543 AD) the ruined Church in Knockatemple from the 9th century and the penal Mass Rock.
During the rebellion of 1798 nine young men from the area offered their services, to General Humbert as he marched through Ballyvary on to Bohola. General Humbert also commandeered two horses from the field (townland of Carrowconnell) as he marched by.
Loughkeeran National School was built in 1864 and catered for the education of hundreds of children until it closed in 1952 and was replaced by Knockatemple National School.
Later on it closed its doors for the new central school in Ballyvary, this caters for the early education of the children.