In 1817 Mr. Bald, an engineer, was employed by the Grand Jury to project a central road into Erris from Castlebar, and a sum of money was borrowed from the government to finance the undertaking as a first step towards general improvement.
In 1820 the road was constructed as far as Bangor, and that same year, the 'Corrick Bridge', popularly known as the 'Musical Bridge', was completed.
It bears the following inscription:- "By order of the Grand Jury, Right Honourable Denis Brown, Foreman, this bridge was designed and built." William Bald Civil Engineer, 1820.'
Skilled workmen employed in the building of it were paid only 1/6 a day and the ordinary labourers, 8d. In 1822 two branches were laid from the main road at Bangor, one running west through Shramore and Kiltane, by the important Salmon Fishery at Goolamore to Geesala, and the other south across the Avonmore through Ballycroy to Mallaranny.
There was only a pavement crossing the river until Bangor bridge was built in 1843 by John Williams, the engineer being Henry Brett.
Skilled workmen employed on this bridge were paid 2/6 a day. The small bridge about a 100 yards further south was built by James Lynn, Briska in 1886 - it was carried away by a flood on the 19th of November 1926, and was rebuilt in 1927. The date on 'Corick Bridge' seems to be deliberately defaced.
The inscription on Bangor bridge is now almost obliterated by the action of the elements and the original date (1886) on the small one has been replaced by "1927".
Those dates serve as important landmarks in the development of the area and should be restored.
Put together by the 5th & 6th class pupils of Bangor National School