The little town of Bangor was built in 1815 by Major Bingham, and probably got its name from the hill under which it is built.
Previous to this the older village, replaced by more modern buildings, was known as 'Coineadach'.
Article from Lewis' Topographical Survey published in 1837
Bangor Erris National School
Bangor's Historic Surroundings
Brief History of Bangor
Extract from "Mayo - Aspects of its Heritage"
Local Place names and their meanings
The Bangor Fair
The Bealach Garbh
The Central Road
The Hedge School
The Oldest Houses
The Protestant Church