In 1840 a Protestant Church was built by the Landlord on the rising ground, about 200 yards to the north of the village, and a road, still known as the Church Road, was constructed from the main road as far as it.
The steep and mountainous stretch surrounding the church had been previously drained and reclaimed by Major Bingham, who used a team of bullocks in ploughing it.
A man named John Keane settled on that stretch of reclaimed land and the remains of his house are still to be seen about 100 yards north - east of the Church.
In 1847 he was evicted by the landlord and his house converted into a "soup kitchen" for charitable purposes which did not succeed.
Put together by the 5th & 6th class pupils of Bangor National School.