This year Newport is celebrating 300 years of existence.
This town was founded by the Medlycot landlords through their lessee, Captain John Pratt, in the early years of the 18th century.
On 2nd April 1720 Thomas Meddlicott and Captain John Pratt signed a lease which allowed
Pratt to choose the site of the town and build the first 20 houses on what is now Meddlicott Street.
Here is the year-long programme of events to celebrate Newport’s tri-centenary.
All events are subject to change due to Covid-19 pandemic
4th April, Saturday: LAUNCH DAY Plaque, mural and illustration unveiling. Canon Killeen Park 3 pm
5th April, Sunday: HANDEL’S MESSIAH, St. Patrick’s Church Newport
- 11th April, Saturday: EASTER EGG HUNT Princess Grace Park Newport
3rd May, Sunday: HISTORICAL RE-ENACTMEN 'A Journey Through Time' Starts Meddlicott Street at 3 pm
- 31st May, Bank Holiday Sunday: QUAY LIVE Free Open Air Concert with Sharon Shannon, Mundy, Frances Black, Mary Coughlan, Coda & Newport Male Voice Choir (Wales) Newport Quay at 4pm
- 14th June, Sunday: NEWPORT STREET PARTY Newport Viaduct/ Castlebar St from 1pm to 5pm.
18th July, Saturday: DINGHY REGATTA, Newport Quay from 12 pm to 4 pm
From 20th July to 3rd August: PHOTOGRAPHIC EXHIBITION Newport NS from 10 am to 4 pm
From 31st July to 2nd August: GRAINNE UAILE FESTIVAL
From 28th August to 30th August: A TASTE OF NEWPORT, Cookery demos, food tastings, bakery competition, zero food mile dining event and much more… Newport Quay and other locations.
- 29th August, Saturday: PARADE OF SAIL, A Spectacular gathering of boats in the harbour to commemorate 300 years of boating. Newport Harbour from 2 pm to 6 pm.
18th September, Friday: CULTURE NIGHT - HALLEY 300, A talk about the Astronomer Royal Edmund Halley by the Newport Astronomy Club.
- 19th September, Saturday: GRACE KELLY FESTIVAL, A celebration of Grace Kelly whose grandfather was from Newport.
26th October, Monday: PUMPKIN CARVING COMPETITION in Chambers Garden Centre at 4pm
30th October, Friday: BOOK LAUNCH OF ‘NEWPORT HISTORY’ in Hotel Newport at 9 pm
- From 30th October to 1st November: MAYO DARK SKY FESTIVAL
6th December, Sunday: CHRISTMAS LIGHTS & MARKETS in Meddlicott Street at 6 pm.
- 31st December Thursday: Closing event
The most of Newport 300 events are FREE.
Posted on Fri, 17 April 2020 11:51:00