The Parliamentary Gazatteer of Ireland Kilgarvan 1843 - 44
Kilrgarvey, Kilgarvin, or Kilnegarvan, a parish in the northern extremity of the Barony of Gallen, 5 miles east by south of Ballina, Co. Mayo, Connaught. Length, 5 1/2 miles; breadth, 5; area, 19,879 acres, 1 rood, 36 perches of which 51 acres, 1 rood, 4 perches are water.
Population, in 1831, 4,230; in 1841, 4,158. Houses 769.
The surface comprises a chief part of the small projection of Co. Mayo within the prevailing line of Co. Sligo, on the east side of the basin of the Moy; it consists, to a large extent, of mountainous, marshy, boggy, and unprofitable ground; and is washed westward to the Moy by the Rivulet Bunree.
The three loftiest summits are situated on the eastern Border, and have altitudes of 1,014, 1,301 and 1,321 feet.
The hamlets are Bunnyconnellan, Ellaghmore, and Graffy.
Archdall says that the original church of the parish was founded by Saint Feichin, who died in 664. This parish is a vicarage and part of the benefice of Kilemoremoy, in the Diocese of Killala. Vicarial tithes composition, £140 18s, 101/2d. The Rectarial tithes, jointly with those of Attymass, are compounded for £231 2s 7d., and are impropriate in Sir William Palmer.
The Roman Catholic chapel has an attendance of 1,000. In 1834, the Protestants amounted to 17, and the Roman Catholics to 4,529; and 2 hedge schools had on their books 114 boys and 22 girls.
In 1840, the National Board granted £92 14s, 2d toward the erection of a school at Rumconlon (This is Bonniconlon).