Local TDs and Councillors, Charlestown in Co. Mayo
Charlestown's Members of Parliament and Councillors.
The town had two members of Parliament in the early years of the Irish Free State - Mark C Henry TD, of the Square, and Jim Morrisroe TD, of Barrack St.
The town entered the National political scene for the first time with two General Elections in 1927, when a son of one of its most respected families, Mark Henry went forward as a Cumann na nGaedheal candidate for the Constituency of North Mayo and in being elected to the Dail in the first election held in June, had the honour of being the town's first TD. After facing the electorate for the second time in the same year, Mr Henry was again returned in the other election which was held in September.
Mark Henry represented the Constituency until 1932.
A new candidate from Charlestown faced the electorate in the Constituency of North Mayo in the General Election of 1933 in the person of Jim Morrisroe, again a Cumann na nGaedheal nominee. He was returned elected to the Dail, replacing Mark Henry, who did not seek re-election. Mr Morrisroe was a brother of the then Bishop of Achonry. Mr Morrisroe represented the Constituency until 1937.
Both Mark Henry and Jim Morrisroe were also members of the Swinford Board of Guardians and the Swinford District Council.
Other residents of Charlestown who were on both Boards were namely: Messrs JW Mulligan, PA Mulligan, J Harrison, J Parsons, J Mulligan and from outside the town, J McDermott, Bushfield, Frank Davey, Carracastle and T O'Hunt, Doocastle.
Members of Charlestown Electoral Area who were elected to Mayo County Council were namely: Mark Henry, John Harrison, William F Gallagher, Patrick J Honan, Thomas Tarpey, Clooncoose, Thomas Durkin, The Square, Patsy Dunne, Barrack St, John M Flannery, Barrack St, and Gerry Murray, The Square.
© Cathal Henry 2002