Lewis' Topographical Survey (1837) of Kilcoleman
KILCOLEMAN, a parish, in the barony of Clanmorris, county of Mayo, and province of Connaught, on the road from Ballinrobe to Castlerea; containing, with the market and post-town of Clare, 8388 inhabitants. A Carmelite friary was founded here in the 13th century by the Prendergast family, which at the dissolution was granted to Sir John King.
The parish comprises 22,886 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, and valued at £6930 per annum; above one-third is arable, one-fourth pasture, and the remainder waste and bog; limestone is plentiful.
Here is Claremount, the seat of J. Browne, Esq. The living is a rectory, in the diocese of Tuam and in the gift of the Archbishop; the tithes amount to £304.12.3-3/4. The church is in Clare, and there is a glebe-house and glebe. The R.C. parish is co-extensive with that of the Established Church; there are chapels at Clare and Barnycarrol, and in the ancient abbey of Ballinasmale are a few monks, who perform divine service regularly. There is a meeting-house for Wesleyan Methodists in Clare.
About 200 children are educated in three public schools, to one of which Mrs. Browne contributes £1, and to another the Rev. M. Havern £4.4, annually; and about 350 are taught in nine private schools.