Lewis' Topographical Survey for Robeen
ROBEEN, a parish, in the barony of Kilmaine, county of Mayo, and province of Connaught, 2 miles (W.) from Hollymount, on the road to Castlebar; containing 3193 inhabitants.
The parish, situated on the river Robe, from which it takes its name, comprises 4605 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act; the land is of medium quality, and is chiefly under tillage, with some extensive tracts of pasture; the system of agriculture is improved, and there is little or no waste land.
The principal seats are Newbrook, the property of Lord Clanmorris, a handsome mansion, situated in an extensive and well-wooded demesne; Bloomfield, of the Rev. Francis Rutledge; Beechgrove, of W. Brunach, Esq.; Brownestown, of Lieut. Browne; and Togher, of G. Rutledge, Esq.
It is a rectory and vicarage, in the diocese of Tuam, forming part of the union of Hollymount, or Kilcommon; the tithes amount to 147.13.10-1/4. The church, which is that of the union, was enlarged in 1818 at an expense of £923.1.6, a gift from the late Board of First Fruits. In the R.C. divisions it is also part of the union of Kilcommon and Robeen; the chapel, situated in this parish, is a large slated edifice. About 160 children are taught in two public schools.
There are some remains of ancient castles in the village of Robeen and at Togher.