Kylemore Abbey, in Connemara
Kylemore Abbey is a Benedictine monastery founded in 1920 on the grounds of Kylemore Castle, and it is one of the top attractions in the West of Ireland. Originally built in 1860 by Mitchell Henry as a gift to his wife Margaret Vaughan, the Abbey is a masterpiece of Victorian engineering and ingenuity and is set on the lake shore at the heart of a 15,000-acre estate.
Kylemore Estate offers a good number of attractions for all visitors to enjoy by a walk along the beautiful lake shores of Pollacappul Lake and Maladrolaun Lake or in the peaceful woodland.
The little Gothic Church, magnificently restored was built in Neo-Gothic style by Mitchell Henry in memory of his wife Margaret such as the Mausoleum, where Mitchell and Margaret are buried.
The six acres Victorian Walled Garden is one of the glories of Kylemore developed against the backdrop of the wild Connemara Mountains. In this area, it is possible to visit the Oak Plantation, the Head Gardener's House and 21 interlinked glasshouses where bananas, grapes and exotic species collected from all over the world grow.