Ballyglass Renewal Project in Co. Mayo
An Baile Glas (The green Village) is a region of fertile land straddling the borders of Mayo Abbey and Carnacon parishes in 'The plains of Mayo'.
The people, in the main derive a livelihood from working the land. The farms are for the most part, in the 20-50 acre range and the farmers engage in mostly mixed farming.
In the last century there were thriving fairs held in Ballyglass itself and in nearby Donamona.
In later times livestock produced in the area were at the monthly fairs in Balla, Ballinrobe and Claremorris.
(A) Thom's Directory: Ballyglass is mentioned regularly
(B) Leet's Directory: In Ambrose Leet's list of Market town, villages, Gentleman's seals and other noted places in Ireland compiled in 1814, Ballyglass is listed with Ballinrobe, Clare, Ballyhaunis and Hollymount as a Post Town in S. Mayo.
(A) The Old Ground Pub: Built originally as a warehouse
(B) The Garda Barracks: Built originally as a hotel, in preparation for the expected laying of the Claremorris- Westport railway line through Ballyglass.
(C) Murphys Guest House: Originally used as a Court House.
(D) Mail-Coach Stop: Buildings now owned by Peter Glynn and John Gilligan.
(E) Ballyglass Community Centre: Originally Mountpleasant N.S. built in 1888 and vacated in 1986.
(A) The Squealing Pig Pub now named The Poitin Stil
(B) Finnerty's Pub (now closed)
(C) Dispensary ' attached to the residence of Ms. Breege Jennings.
(D) Post Office: managed by Ms. Aine Gilligan
(E) Langan's Grocery Shop.
(F) Mountpleasant N.S. Built in 1985-86 as a four teacher school at a cost of £35,000 to the local community.
(G) Ballyglass football grounds and clubhouse: The club is 25 years in existence, has won the Mayo Premier Division twice and can boast of one of the finest grounds in Connaught.
(H) Ballyglass Sports Field: The famous Turlough, the scene of many sporting events down through the years, has been acquired by Ballyglass Sports club as a community grounds.
(I) Reservoir: Ballyglass-Carnacon group water scheme.