Murrisk in Co. Mayo
The root of the village's name is uncertain, it comes either from 'Muir Riasc' which translates as 'a marsh by the sea' or the more romantic "Muir Iasc', the sea monster worshipped in pagan times.
Overlooking the sea is the dramatic National Famine Monument, an outstanding John Behan sculpture depicting a skeleton strung 'coffin ship'.
Long and sandy Bertra Beach beside the village has been awarded the EU Blue Flag.
In 1400's an abbey was founded at Murrisk by Pope Callixtus III. Since then the village has been renowned amongst pilgrims worldwide as the starting point for the ascent of Croagh Patrick and for the generosity of hospitality shown.
The annual Pattern Day in Murrisk takes place on the last or second last Sunday in August each year. The Pattern Day is a full day of events for young and old commencing with Mass at Murrisk Abbey, followed by music and dancing, vintage show, sheep show and sheep dog trials, children’s entertainment, stalls with various home produce, arts and crafts etc.