The Neale in 1837 from the Lewis' Survey
NEALE, a village, in the parish of KILMOLARA, barony of Kilmaine county of Mayo, and province of Connaught, 2 ½ miles (S.) from Ballinrabe, on the road to Cong; the population is returned with the parish. This place, which is usually called "The Neale," is a constabulary police station, and has fairs on Feb 5th, May 6th, Aug 4th, and Nov 5th.
Immediately adjoining is Neale Park, a seat of Lord Kilmaine: the grounds, which are very extensive, contain some curious monuments, noticed under the head of Kilmolara.
In the R.C. divisions Neale gives name to the union or district, comprising the parishes of Kilmolara and Ballinchalla, and contains the only chapel in the district.